[openstack-dev] [releases][rocky][tempest-plugins][ptl] Reminder to tag the Tempest plugins for Rocky release

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 13 14:01:33 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-08-13 15:51:56 +0200:
> On 08/13/2018 03:46 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-08-13 15:35:23 +0200:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The plugins are branchless and should stay so. Let us not dive into this madness
> >> again please.
> >
> > You are correct that we do not want to branch, because we want the
> > same tests running against all branches of services in our CI system
> > to help us avoid (or at least recognize) API-breaking changes across
> > release boundaries.
>
> Okay, thank you for clarification. I stand corrected and apologize if my
> frustration was expressed too loudly or harshly :)

Not at all. This is new territory, and we made a decision somewhat
quickly, so I am not surprised that we need to do a little more work to
communicate the results.

> > We *do* need to tag so that people consuming the plugins to certify
> > their clouds know which version of the plugin works with the version
> > of the software they are installing. Newer versions of plugins may
> > rely on features or changes in newer versions of tempest, or other
> > dependencies, that are not available in an environment that is
> > running an older cloud.
>
> ++
>

> > We will apply those tags in the series-specific deliverable files in
> > openstack/releases so that the version numbers appear together on
> > releases.openstack.org on the relevant release page so that users
> > looking for the "rocky" version of a plugin can find it easily.
>
> Okay, this makes sense now.

Good.

Now, we just need someone to figure out where to write all of that down
so we don't have to have the same conversation next cycle. :-)

Doug