[openstack-dev] [releases][rocky][tempest-plugins][ptl] Reminder to tag the Tempest plugins for Rocky release

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 13 14:00:05 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Jim Rollenhagen's message of 2018-08-13 09:50:34 -0400:
> // jim
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-08-13 15:35:23 +0200:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The plugins are branchless and should stay so. Let us not dive into this
> > madness
> > > again please.
> >
> > You are correct that we do not want to branch, because we want the
> > same tests running against all branches of services in our CI system
> > to help us avoid (or at least recognize) API-breaking changes across
> > release boundaries.
> >
> > We *do* need to tag so that people consuming the plugins to certify
> > their clouds know which version of the plugin works with the version
> > of the software they are installing. Newer versions of plugins may
> > rely on features or changes in newer versions of tempest, or other
> > dependencies, that are not available in an environment that is
> > running an older cloud.
> >
> > We will apply those tags in the series-specific deliverable files in
> > openstack/releases so that the version numbers appear together on
> > releases.openstack.org on the relevant release page so that users
> > looking for the "rocky" version of a plugin can find it easily.
> >

> Thanks Doug. My confusion was around the cycle-with-intermediary model,
> which I thought implied a stable branch. Tagging at end of cycle seems
> fine to me. :)
>
> // jim

Normally cycle-with-intermediary would imply a branch, but it's really
focused more around the releases than the branching. There's a separate
flag that most deliverables don't need to use that controls the
branching policy, and in this case we treat these repos as branchless.

Doug