[openstack-dev] [Cyborg] Update device info in db via REST API or RPC?

Nadathur, Sundar sundar.nadathur at intel.com
Sun Aug 12 22:11:44 UTC 2018

Hi all,
   Apparently a decision was taken to have the Cyborg agent update the
Cyborg database with device information using REST APIs, as part of
discovery.

The use of REST API has many implications:
* It is open to public. So, we have to authenticate the users and check for
   abuse. Even if it is open only to operators, it can still be prone to
   error.

* REST APIs have backwards compatibility requirements. It will not be
easy to
   change the signature or semantics. We also need to check the implications
   on upgrade.

It would be better to make this an RPC API offered by the Cyborg conductor,
which will keep it internal to Cyborg and avoid the issues above.

Thanks.

Regards,
Sundar