[openstack-dev] Paste unmaintained

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Aug 8 14:18:07 UTC 2018

On 08/08/2018 10:43 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> If you don't configure uwsgi to do any special logging, then then only
>> thing you'll see in the log file is client requests, without any kind of
>> logging from the wsgi application. To have proper logging, one needs to
>> add, in the uwsgi config file:
>>
>> paste-logger = true
>>
>> If you do that, then you need the python3-pastescript installed, which
>> itself depends on the python3-paste package.
>>
>> Really, I don't see how an operator could run without the paste-logger
>> option activated. Without it, you see nothing in the logs.
>
> I'm pretty sure your statements here are not true. In the uwsgi
> configs for services in devstack, paste-logger is not used.

I have never mentioned devstack ! :)

> Can you please point me to where you are seeing these problems?

In the Debian packages, if I don't do paste-logger = true, I will not
see any debug output.

> Clearly something is confused somewhere. Is the difference in our
> experiences that both of the situations I describe above are happy
> with logging being on stderr and you're talking about being able to
> config logging to files, within the application itself?

If there's no paste-logger, what the application prints on stderr
doesn't appear in the log file that uwsgi logs into. That's precisely
what paste-logger fixes.

> If that's
> the case then my response would b: don't do that. Let systemd, or
> your container, or apache2, or whatever process/service orchestration
> system you have going manage that. That's what they are there for.

I'd be more than happy to have a better logging without the need of
paste/pastescript, but so far, that's the only way I found that worked
with uwsgi. Do you know any other way?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)