[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Tue Aug 7 16:10:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> Top posting to avoid getting into the weeds.
>
> * OpenStack is indeed lagging behind
> * The road to 3.7 (and eventually 3.8) runs through 3.6
> * As part of the project-wide python3-first goal we aim to have everything
> working on 3.6 for Stein, so we are making some progress at least
> * As of now we are *not* dropping support for 3.5 in Stein
> * No matter what we do, the specific issue you're encountering is
> structural: we don't add support for a Python version in the gate until it
> is available in an Ubuntu LTS release, and that doesn't happen until after
> it is available in Debian, so you will always have the problem that new
> Python versions will be introduced in Debian before we have a gate for them

Thanks for mentioning this. I was concerned that there wouldn't be any
gating until Ubuntu 20.04 (April 2020) but Py3.7 is available in bionic
today. It's a bit older version but I think that's just because we're early
py3.7 stages, so we'll try to get that updated.

Thanks,
Corey

* Structural problems require structural solutions; "everybody work