[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 7 15:31:33 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2018-08-07 16:11:43 +0200:
> On 08/07/2018 03:24 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:
>
> > i think we as a community will have to decide on the minimum and
> > maximum python 3 versions
> > we support for each release and adjust as we go forward.
>
> Whatever the OpenStack community decides is not going to change what
> distributions like Debian will do. This type of reasoning lacks a much
> needed humility.

That goes both ways, Thomas. We're in the middle of the RC1 deadline
week for Rocky right now. This is not a great time to be pushing
for new work unrelated to finishing that release.

> > it will also
> > impact the external python lib we can depend on too which is
> > another reason i think thie need to be a comuntiy wide discussion and
> > goal that is informed by what distros are doing but
> > not mandated by what any one distro is doing.
> > regards
> > sean.
>
> Postponing any attempt to support anything current is always a bad idea.
> I don't see why there's even a controversy when one attempts to fix bugs
> that will, sooner or later, also hit the gate.

The community is not prepared to support 3.7 today. That doesn't
mean we will never support it, just that it is not the most important
thing for us to be doing right now. We'll get there.

Doug