[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-32

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Aug 7 11:28:03 UTC 2018

HTML: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-18-32.html

The TC discussions of interest in the past week have been related to
the recent [PTL
elections](https://governance.openstack.org/election/) and planning
for the [forthcoming PTG](https://www.openstack.org/ptg).

## PTL Election Gaps

A few official projects had no nominee for the PTL position. An
[etherpad](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stein-leaderless) was
created to track this, and most of the situations have been
resolved. Pointers to some of the discussion:

* [Near the end of nomination
   period](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-07-31.log.html#t2018-07-31T17:39:28).
* [Discussion about
   Trove](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-02.log.html#t2018-08-02T13:59:11).
   There's quite a bit here about how we evaluate the health of a
   project and the value of volunteers, and for how long we are
   willing to extend grace periods for projects which have a history
   of imperfect health.
* [What to do about
   RefStack](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-02.log.html#t2018-08-02T16:01:12)
   which evolved to become a discussion about the role of the QA
   team.
* [Freezer and
   Searchlight](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-07.log.html#t2018-08-07T09:06:37).

Where we (the TC) seem to have some minor disagreement is the extent
to which we should be extending a lifeline to official projects
which are (for whatever reason) struggling to keep up with
responsibilities or we should be using the power to remove official
status as a way to highlight need.

## PTG Planning

The PTG is a month away, so the TC is doing a bit of planning to
prepare. There will be two different days during which the TC will
meet: Sunday afternoon before the PTG, and all day Friday. Most
planning is happening on [this
etherpad](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-stein-ptg). There is
also of specific etherpad about [the relationship between the TC and
the Foundation and Foundation corporate
members](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-board-foundation). And
one for [post-lunch
topics](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PTG4-postlunch).

IRC links:

* [Discussion about limiting the
   agenda](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-03.log.html#t2018-08-03T12:31:38).

If there's any disagreement in this planning process, it is over
whether we should focus our time on topics we have some chance of
resolving or at least making some concrete progress, or we should
spend the time having open-ended discussions.

Ideally there would be time for both, as the latter is required to
develop the shared language that is needed to take real action. But
as is rampant in the community we are constrained by time and other
responsibilities.