[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 20:52:04 UTC 2018

On 06/08/18 13:11, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/02/2018 10:43 AM, Andrey Kurilin wrote:
>>      There's also some "raise StopIteration" issues in:
>>      - ceilometer
>>      - cinder
>>      - designate
>>      - glance
>>      - glare
>>      - heat
>>      - karbor
>>      - manila
>>      - murano
>>      - networking-ovn
>>      - neutron-vpnaas
>>      - nova
>>      - rally
>>

>> Can you provide any traceback or steps to reproduce the issue for Rally
>> project ?

I assume Thomas is only trying to run the unit tests, since that's what
he has to do to verify the package?

> I'm not sure there's any. The only thing I know is that it has stop
> StopIteration stuff, but I'm not sure if they are part of generators, in
> which case they should simply be replaced by "return" if you want it to
> be py 3.7 compatible.

I was about to say nobody is doing 'raise StopIteration' where they mean
'return' until I saw that the Glance tests apparently were :D

The main issue though is when StopIteration is raised by one thing that
happens to be called from *another* generator. e.g. many of the Heat
tests that are failing are because we supplied a too-short list of
side-effects to a mock and calling next() on them raises StopIteration,
but because the calls were happening from inside a generator the
StopIterations previously just got swallowed. If no generator were
involved the test would have failed with the StopIteration exception.
(Note: this was a bug - either in the code or more likely the tests. The
purpose of the change in py37 was to expose this kind of bug wherever it
exists.)