[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Aug 6 19:02:41 UTC 2018

> I didn't have time to investigate these, but at least Glance was
> affected, and a patch was sent (as well as an async patch). None of them
> has been merged yet:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586050/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586716/
>
> That'd be ok if at least there was some reviews. It looks like nobody
> cares but Debian & Ubuntu people... :(

Keep in mind that your priorities are different than everyone elses. There are
large parts of the community still working on Python 3.5 support (our
officially supported Python 3 version), as well as smaller teams overall
working on things like critical bugs.

Unless and until we declare Python 3.7 as our new target (which I don't think
we are ready to do yet), these kinds of patches will be on a best effort basis.

Making sure that duplicate patches are not pushed up will also help increase
the chances that they will eventually make it through as well.

Sean