[openstack-dev] [magnum] supported OS images and magnum spawn failures for Swarm and Kubernetes

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sat Aug 4 16:17:59 UTC 2018

We recently deployed Magnum and I've been making my way through getting
both Swarm and Kubernetes running. I also ran into some initial issues.
These notes may or may not help, but thought I'd share them in case:

* We're using Barbican for SSL. I have not tried with the internal
x509keypair.

* I was only able to get things running with Fedora Atomic 27, specifically
the version used in the Magnum docs:
https://docs.openstack.org/magnum/latest/install/launch-instance.html

Anything beyond that wouldn't even boot in my cloud. I haven't dug into
this.

* Kubernetes requires a Cluster Template to have a label of
cert_manager_api=true set in order for the cluster to fully come up (at
least, it didn't work for me until I set this).

As far as troubleshooting methods go, check the cloud-init logs on the
individual instances to see if any of the "parts" have failed to run.
Manually re-run the parts on the command-line to get a better idea of why
they failed. Review the actual script, figure out the variable
interpolation and how it relates to the Cluster Template being used.

Eventually I was able to get clusters running with the stock
driver/templates, but wanted to tune them in order to better fit in our
cloud, so I've "forked" them. This is in no way a slight against the
existing drivers/templates nor do I recommend doing this until you reach a
point where the stock drivers won't meet your needs. But I mention it
because it's possible to do and it's not terribly hard. This is still a
work-in-progress and a bit hacky:

https://github.com/cybera/magnum-templates

Hope that helps,
Joe