[openstack-dev] [nova] Guests not getting metadata in a Cellsv2 deploy

Liam Young liam.young at canonical.com
Thu Aug 2 16:47:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a fresh pike deployment and the guests are not getting metadata. To
investigate it further it would really help me to understand what the
metadata flow is supposed to look like.

In my deployment the guest receives a 404 when hitting
http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data. I have added some logging to
expose the messages passing via amqp and I see the nova-api-metadata
service making a call to the super-conductor asking for an InstanceMapping.
The super-conductor sends a reply detailing which cell the instance is in
and the urls for both mysql and rabbit. The nova-api-metadata service then
sends a second message to the superconductor this time asking for
an Instance obj. The super-conductor fails to find the instance and returns
a failure with a "InstanceNotFound: Instance <uuid> could not be found"
message, the  nova-api-metadata service then sends a 404 to the original
requester.

I think the super-conductor is looking in the wrong database for the
instance information. I believe it is looking in cell0 when it should
actually be connecting to an entirely different instance of mysql which is
associated with the cell that the instance is in.

Should the super-conductor even be trying to retrieve the instance
information or should the nova-api-metadata service actually be messaging
the conductor in the compute cell?

Any pointers gratefully received!
Thanks
Liam