[openstack-dev] Setting-up NoVNC 1.0.0 with nova

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 16:44:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-05-20 at 09:33 -0700, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 5/20/2018 6:37 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > The novnc package in Debian and Ubuntu is getting very old. So I thought
> > about upgrading to 1.0.0, which has lots of very nice newer features,
> > like the full screen mode, and so on.
> >
> > All seemed to work, however, when trying to connect to the console of a
> > VM, NoVNC attempts to connect tohttps://example.com:6080/websockify  and
> > then fails (with a 404).
> >
> > So I was wondering: what's missing in my setup so that there's a
> > /websockify URL? Is there some missing code in the nova-novncproxy so
> > that it would forward this URL to /usr/bin/websockify? If so, has anyone
> > started working on it?
> >
> > Also, what's the status of NoVNC with Python 3? I saw lots of print
> > statements which are easy to fix, though I even wonder if the code in
> > the python-novnc package is useful. Who's using it? Nova-novncproxy?
> > That's unlikely, since I didn't package a Python 3 version for it.
>
> Stephen Finucane (stephenfin on irc) would know best at this point, but
> I know he ran into some issues with configuring nova when using novnc
> 1.0.0, so check your novncproxy_base_url config option value:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#vnc.novncproxy_base_url
>
> Specifically:
>
> "If using noVNC >= 1.0.0, you should use vnc_lite.html instead of
> vnc_auto.html."

We've got a patch up to resolve this in DevStack [1]. As Matt notes,
the issue is because a path was renamed in noVNC 1.0.0. You could
resolve this by including a symlink to the path in your package but it
might be better long-term to simply ensure the deployment tools take
care of this. We can eventually change the default in nova once noVNC
1.0.0 gains enough momentum. There's a WIP patch up for this too [2].

Let me know if you need more info,
Stephen

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/550172/6
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/550173/4