[openstack-dev] [nova] How to debug no valid host failures with placement

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Aug 1 16:23:06 UTC 2018

On 08/01/2018 09:58 AM, Andrey Volkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems you need first to check what placement knows about resources of your cloud.
> This can be done either with REST API [1] or with osc-placement [2].
> For osc-placement you could use:
>
> pip install osc-placement
> openstack allocation candidate list --resource DISK_GB=20 --resource
> MEMORY_MB=2048 --resource VCPU=1 --os-placement-api-version 1.10
>
> And you can explore placement state with other commands like openstack resource
> provider list, resource provider inventory list, resource provider usage show.

Unfortunately this doesn't help figure out what the missing resources were *at
the time of the failure*.

The fact that there is no real way to get the equivalent of the old detailed
scheduler logs is a known shortcoming in placement, and will become more of a
problem if/when we move more complicated things like CPU pinning, hugepages, and
NUMA-awareness into placement.

The problem is that getting useful logs out of placement would require
significant development work.

Chris