[openstack-dev] [all] Ongoing spam in Freenode IRC channels

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 1 13:49:16 UTC 2018

Monty Taylor wrote:
> [...]
> However, it's worth noting that matrix is not immune to spam. As an open
> federated protocol, it's a target as well. Running our own home server
> might give us some additional tools - but it might not, and we might be
> in the same scenario except now we're running another service and we had
> the pain of moving.
> [...]

Any open communication platform is subject to spam. As long as you let
anonymous users join and post stuff, it will happen as soon as the
platform reaches a certain critical mass. Slack is not immune to this:
it has spam too, and the platform being outside of your control
limits[1] your options.

Freenode/IRC is a bit bad because it does not make it easy to /deal/
with spam. The protocol being designed at a time where it was costly to
switch IPs, you can ignore people/hosts, but not messages based on key
words. As we look into alternatives, we should evaluate their
spam-filtering abilities...

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/Slack/comments/71bd1h/need_help_preventing_pm_spam/

--