[openstack-dev] [api] REST limitations and GraghGL inception?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:21:18 UTC 2018

On 4/29/2018 10:53 PM, Gilles Dubreuil wrote:
> Remember Boston's Summit presentation [1] about GraphQL [2] and how it
> addresses REST limitations.
> I wonder if any project has been thinking about using GraphQL. I haven't
> find any mention or pointers about it.
>
> GraphQL takes a complete different approach compared to REST. So we can
> finally forget about REST API Description languages
> (OpenAPI/Swagger/WSDL/WADL/JSON-API/ETC) and HATEOS (the hypermedia
> approach which doesn't describe how to use it).
>
> So, once passed the point where 'REST vs GraphQL' is like comparing SQL
> and no-SQL DBMS and therefore have different applications, there are no
> doubt the complexity of most OpenStack projects are good candidates for
> GraphQL.
>
> Besides topics such as efficiency, decoupling, no version management
> need there many other powerful features such as API Schema out of the
> box and better automation down that track.
>
> It looks like the dream of a conduit between API services and consumers
> might have finally come true so we could move-on an worry about other
> things.
>
> So has anyone already starting looking into it?
>
> [1]
> https://www.openstack.org/videos/boston-2017/building-modern-apis-with-graphql
>
> [2] http://graphql.org

Not to speak for him, but Sean Dague had a blog post about REST API
microversions in OpenStack and there is a Q&A bit at the bottom about
GraphQL replacing the need for microversions:

https://dague.net/2017/12/11/rest-api-microversions/

Since I don't expect Sean to magically appear to reply to this thread, I
thought I'd pass this along.

Matt