[openstack-dev] [tripleo] validating overcloud config changes on a redeploy

Marius Cornea mariusc at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 22:04:24 UTC 2018

Hi Ade,

To the best of my knowledge the closest place where we do similar
sequence of actions (post deployment build and append environment
files to the deploy command and re-run overcloud deploy on top of an
already deployed overcloud) is tripleo-upgrade. As we discussed on IRC
I was reluctant to adding these kind of tests to tripleo-upgrade since
it was initially created to cover only the minor update and major
upgrades use cases. Nevertheless, thinking more about your use case I
realized that configuration changes tests could fit quite well in
tripleo-upgrade for several reasons:

 - we already have a mechanism[1] in place for attaching extra
environment files to the deploy command
 - we already have tests that can be run during the stack update which
applies the config changes; this could be useful to validate that
configuration changes do not break the data plane(e.g to validate that
a neutron config change doesn't not leave instances without networking
during the stack update)
 - we can easily segregate the config changes plays into their own
directory as we do with update/upgrade[2] and add the reusable ones in
the common directory
 - upgrades might benefit from the config changes tests by running
them in a pre/post minor update/major upgrade step and catch potential
parameters changes between releases

I'd like to hear what others think about this and see if there could
be a better place where to host these kind of tests but personally I'm
ok with adding them to tripleo-upgrade.

Best regards,
Marius

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tripleo-upgrade/tree/tasks/upgrade/step_upgrade.yml