[openstack-dev] Following the new PTI for document build, broken local builds

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 14:49:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-04-25 at 12:06 -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:

> > > The only concern I have is that it may slow the transition to the
> > > python 3 version of the jobs, since someone would have to actually
> > > fix the warnings before they could add the new job. I'm not sure I
> > > want to couple the tasks of fixing doc build warnings with also
> > > making those docs build under python 3 (which is usually quite
> > > simple).
> > >
> > > Is there some other way to enable this flag independently of the move to
> > > the python3 job?
> >
> > The existing proposal is:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/559348
> >
> > TL;DR if you still have a build_sphinx section in setup.cfg then defaults
> > will remain the same, but when removing it as part of the transition to the
> > new PTI you'll have to eliminate any warnings. (Although AFAICT it doesn't
> > hurt to leave that section in place as long as you need, and you can still
> > do the rest of the PTI conversion.)
> >
> > The hold-up is that the job in question is also potentially used by other
> > Zuul users outside of OpenStack - including those who aren't using pbr at
> > all (i.e. there's no setup.cfg). So we need to warn those folks to prepare.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Zane.
> >

> Ah, I had looked but did not find an existing proposal. Looks like that would
> work too. I am good either way, but I will leave my approach out there just as
> another option to consider. I'll abandon that if folks prefer this way.

Yeah, I reviewed your patch but assumed you'd seen mine already and
were looking for a quicker alternative.

I've started the process of adding this to zuul-jobs by posting the
warning to zuul-announce (though it's waiting moderation by corvus). We
 only need to wait two weeks after sending that message before we can
merge the patch to zuul-jobs, so I guess we should go that way now?

Stephen