[openstack-dev] [all][tc] final stages of python 3 transition

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 25 21:40:37 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-25 16:54:46 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> Still, we need to press on to the next phase of the migration, which
> I have been calling "Python 3 first". This is where we use python
> 3 as the default, for everything, and set up the exceptions we need
> for anything that still requires python 2.
[...]

It may be worth considering how this interacts with the switch of
our default test platform from Ubuntu 16.04 (which provides Python
3.5) to 18.04 (which provides Python 3.6). If we switch from 3.5 to
3.6 before we change most remaining jobs over to Python 3.x versions
then it gives us a chance to spot differences between 3.5 and 3.6 at
that point. Given that the 14.04 to 16.04 migration, where we
attempted to allow projects to switch at their own pace, didn't go
so well we're hoping to do a "big bang" migration instead for 18.04
and expect teams who haven't set up experimental jobs ahead of time
to work out remaining blockers after the flag day before they can go
back to business as usual. Since the 18.04 release is happening so
far into the Rocky cycle, we're likely to want to do that at the
start of Stein instead when it will be less disruptive.

So I guess that raises the question: switch to Python 3.5 by default
for most jobs in Rocky and then have a potentially more disruptive
default platform switch with Python 3.5->3.6 at the beginning of
Stein, or wait until the default platform switch to move from Python
2.7 to 3.6 as the job default? I can see some value in each option.
--
Jeremy Stanley