[openstack-dev] [nova] Help needed in debugging issue - ClientException: Unable to update the attachment. (HTTP 500)

Sreeram Vancheeswaran sreeram at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 25 16:11:12 UTC 2018

On 25/04/18 9:09 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 4/25/2018 10:34 AM, Sreeram Vancheeswaran wrote:
>> Thank you so much Matt for the detailed steps.  We are doing boot
>> from image and are probably running into the issue mentioned in [2]
>> in your email.
>
> Hmm, OK, but that doesn't really make sense how you're going down this
> path [1] in the code because the API doesn't create a volume
> attachment record when booting from a volume where the
> source_type='image', so it should be going down the "legacy" attach
> flow where attachment_update is not called.
>
> Do you have some proprietary code in place that might be causing some
> problems? Otherwise we need to figure out how this is failing because
> it could be an issue in Queens.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/0a642e2eee8d430ddcccf2947aedcca1a0a0b005/nova/virt/block_device.py#L597

Yes, we have some proprietary code to copy image on to volume (as a
prototype now), and probably that is causing the issue here; I will
debug/trace using the info you previously provided and figure out the
root cause.  I will get back to you if there is some issue in the
"in-tree" code.   Again, thank you so much for providing directions on
where to continue debugging.

Sreeram Vancheeswaran
System z Firmware - Openstack Development
IBM Systems & Technology Lab, Bangalore, India
Phone:  +91 80 40660826     Mob: +91-9341411511
Email : sreeram at linux.vnet.ibm.com