[openstack-dev] Following the new PTI for document build, broken local builds

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed Apr 25 14:59:13 UTC 2018

> > > I am in favor of this too. We will probably need to give some teams some time
> > > to get warnings fixed though. I haven't done any kind of extensive audit of
> > > projects, but from a few I looked through, there are definitely a few that are
> > > not erroring on warnings and are likely to be blocked if we suddenly flipped
> > > the switch and errored on those.
> > >
> > > This is a legitimate issue though. In Cinder we had -W in the tox docs job, but
> > > since that is no longer being enforced in the gate, running "tox -e docs" from
> > > a fresh clone of master was failing. We really do need some way to enforce this
> > > so things like that do not happen.
> >
> > This. While forcing work on teams to do busywork is undeniably A Very
> > Bad Thing (TM), I do think the longer we leave this, the worse it'll
> > get. The zuul-jobs [1] patch will probably introduce some pain for
> > projects but it seems like inevitable pain and we're in the right part
> > of the cycle in which to do something like this. I'd be willing to help
> > projects fix issues they encounter, which I expect will be minimal for
> > most projects.
>
> I too think enforcing -W is the way to go, so count me in for the
> broken docs build help.
>
> Thanks for pushing this forward!
>
> Cheers,
> pk

In support of this I have proposed [1]. To make it easier to transition (since
I'm pretty sure this will involve a lot of work by some projects) and since we
want to eventually have everything run under Python 3, I have just proposed
setting this flag as the default for the publish-openstack-sphinx-docs-python3
job template. Then projects can opt in as they are ready for both the
warnings-as-errors and Python 3 support.

I would love to hear if there are any concerns about doing things this way or
if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks!
Sean

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/564232/