[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Apr 24 10:24:45 UTC 2018

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> OpenStack has created artificial walls between the various Projects. It shows up, for example, as holes in usability at a user level or extra difficulty for operators juggling around so many projects. Users and for the most part, Operators don't really care about project organization, or ptls, or cores or such.  OpenStack has made some progress this direction with stuff like the unified cli. But OpenStack is not very unified.

I've been giving this some thought (in the context of a presentation I
was giving on hard lessons learned from 8 years of OpenStack). I think
that organizing development around project teams and components was the
best way to cope with the growth of OpenStack in 2011-1015 and get to a
working set of components. However it's not the best organization to
improve on the overall "product experience", or for a maintenance phase.

While it can be confusing, I like the two-dimensional approach that
Kubernetes followed (code ownership in one dimension, SIGs in the
other). The introduction of SIGs in OpenStack, beyond providing a way to
build closer feedback loops around specific topics, can help us tackle
this "unified experience" problem you raised. The formation of the
upgrades SIG, or the self-healing SIG is a sign that times change. Maybe
we need to push in that direction even more aggressively and start
thinking about de-emphasizing project teams themselves.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)