[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 23 18:52:42 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-23 16:28:13 +0000 (+0000), Tim Bell wrote:
> One of the challenges in the academic sector is the time from
> lightbulb moment to code commit. Many of the academic resource
> opportunities are short term (e.g. PhDs, student projects,
> government funded projects) and there is a latency in current
> system to onboard, get the appropriate recognition in the
> community (such as by reviewing other changes) and then get the
> code committed. This is a particular problem for the larger
> projects where the patch is not in one of the project goal areas
> for that release.
[...]

Not to seem pessimistic (I'm not!) but I have hopes that with a
trend of decreasing full-time investment from companies
"productizing" OpenStack we'll see a corresponding decrease in
project velocity as well. I think that one of the primary scaling
challenges we have which translates to a negative experience for
casual contributors is the overall change volume in some of our
larger projects. We've optimized our processes for people who are
going to work on many things in parallel, so that the amount of time
any one of those things takes to land is less of a problem for their
effective personal throughput.

As the pace of development slows and the hype continues to cool,
this could at least partly self-correct. We'll be taking on changes
from users and other casual contributors out of necessity when
they're all we have. What we need to do is fill in the gaps in the
meantime and carefully manage the transition so that we increase
ease of contribution for them ahead of that curve rather than once
it's too late.
--
Jeremy Stanley