[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How "active" should the TC be?

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:39:42 UTC 2018

*IMO TC should be more active as possible. Since we try to use this
position to make policies, we should also consider hard how we can
broadcast those policies to each developer to provide guidelines and to get
possible feedbacks.To reach out current/potential technical contributors,
to sell this technical community and to communicate with other parts
(UC/Board/other communities/ops/users) and bring ideas/actions to renew our
policies or to the entire technical community. That will need TCs jump into
local/global events, meetings and MLs.I believe it's not just about what TC
defines our own duty, but most of the developers believe in TC's
governance.So I think we should definitely be more active and keep trying
to renew our goals. Here's example, I pretty sure a lot of developers from
our community doesn't know exactly what policy we were made.Which provides
the higher risk for gaps between what TCs think OpenStack and what they try
to present in their local community. I'm pretty sure such gaps exist in the
most local community (which developers learn what's current OpenStack looks
like) in Asia.As for the discussion on how to organize TCs to be more
active. To make a policy for that actually make sense to me since all TCs
should read through and follow policies which they made. Second to try to
reach out to project teams, rest of community, and other communities should
be a good start.*

> [This is meant to be one of (I hope) several conversation-provoking
> questions directed at prospective TC members to help the community
> understand their positions before considering how to vote in the
> ongoing election.]
>
> We frequently have discussions about whether the TC is active enough,
> in terms of driving new policies, technology choices, and other
> issues that affect the entire community.
>
> Please describe one case where we were either active or reactive
> and how that was shown to be the right choice over time.
>
> Please describe another case where the choice to be active or
> reactive ended up being the wrong choice.
>
> If you think the TC should tend to be more active in driving change
> than it is today, please describe the changes (policy, culture,
> etc.) you think would need to be made to do that effectively (not
> which policies you want us to be more active on, but *how* to
> organize the TC to be more active and have that work within the
> community culture).
>
> If you think the TC should tend to be less active in driving change
> overall, please describe what policies you think the TC should be
> taking an active role in implementing.
>
> Doug

May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,

*Rico Lin*irc: ricolin