[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Apr 23 17:26:00 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Rico Lin's message of 2018-04-24 00:54:14 +0800:
> ** What aspects of our policies or culture make contributing to
> OpenStackmore difficult than contributing to other open source projects?To
> fully understand the map of OpenStack services is a huge challenge,
> especially for new join developers. And for project teams, might not

This is an interesting point that I haven't heard raised before.
Typically the number of projects is used as an example of something
that is confusing to users or deployers, but can you elaborate on
how it is confusing to contributors?

> provide new contributors guidelines to be quicker to become part of the
> team. Finally, the format or WG/SIG/Team might confuse contributors.* Which

Do you mean because it isn't clear what sort of group to start in order
to accomplish something?

> of those would you change, and how?IMO to provides clear landscape will
> help on give people better view on the whole map and might get the better
> idea on how to fit in their plan without spending too much time on finding
> where to contribute. Also, we need provides better ways to communicate to
> new contributors to at least make them feel welcome. Which maybe we can try
> to add in PTL/TC's (or other possible position) duty and to provide better
> guidelines to new join contributors who seems got no clue on what's the
> project been working on or where the project needs help. Only people we

What role do you think the First Contact SIG might play in that?