[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question related to new projects

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Mon Apr 23 16:23:20 UTC 2018

On 23/04/18 17:14, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Graham Hayes's message of 2018-04-23 16:27:04 +0100:
>> On 23/04/18 16:04, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Graham Hayes's message of 2018-04-23 12:15:24 +0100:

>>> We've always considered overlap to some degree, but it has come up
>>> more explicitly in a few recent discussions because of the nature
>>> of the projects.  Please see the other thread on this topic [1].
>>>
>>> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129661.html

>>> This feels like the ideal open source approach, in which contributors
>>> are "scratching their own itch." How can we encourage more deployers
>>> and users of OpenStack to consider contributing their customization
>>> and integration projects? Should we?
>>
>> I think a lot of our major users are good citizens and are doing some or
>> all of this work in the open - we just have a discoverability issue.
>>
>> A lot of the benefit of joining the foundation as a project, is the
>> increased visibility gained from it, so that others who are deploying
>> OpenStack in a similar layout can find a project and use it.
>>
>> I think at the very least we should find a way to promote them (this
>> is where constellations could really help, as we could add non member
>> projects to constellations where they are appropriate.
>
> Do you foresee any issues with adding unofficial projects to the
> constellations?
>
> Doug

No (from my viewpoint anyway) - I think they will be important to
include in any true collection of use cases - for example we definitely
will want to have a "PaaS" Constellation that includes things like
Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry and / or OpenShift. We need to show how
OpenStack works in the entire open source infrastructure community
and not just how it works internally - and showing how you can use other
open source software components *with* OpenStack is vital for that.

- Graham