[openstack-dev] [Nova] z/VM introducing a new config driveformat

Chen CH Ji jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Mon Apr 23 05:02:49 UTC 2018

Yes, fully understand this ,thanks for sharing!

Best Regards!

Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨

Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
Phone: +86-10-82451493
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District,
Beijing 100193, PRC

From:	Jim Rollenhagen <jim at jimrollenhagen.com>
            <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date:	04/20/2018 10:13 PM
Subject:	Re: [openstack-dev] [Nova] z/VM introducing a new config
            driveformat

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 4:02 AM, Chen CH Ji <jichenjc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
  Thanks a lot for your sharing, that's good info, just curious why [1]
  need zip and base64 encode if my understand is correct
  I was told nova need format should be pure vfat or iso9660, I assume it's
  because actually the config drive itself is making by iso by default
  then wrap a zip/base64 format ... thanks

We only gzip and base64 to send it to the ironic API. It is decoded and
unzipped before writing it to disk, so it is a pure iso9660 on the disk.

// jim