[openstack-dev] [infra] Removal of debian-jessie, replaced by debian-stable (stretch)

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 22:10:39 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I'd like to propose now that we have debian-stable (stretch) nodesets online for
nodepool, that we start the process to remove debian-jessie.  As I can see,
there really is only 2 projects using debian-jessie:

  * ARA
  * ansible-hardening

I've already proposed patches to update their jobs to debian-stable, replacing
debian-jessie:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:debian-stable

You'll also noticed we are not using debian-stretch directly for the nodeset,
this is on purpose as when the next release of debian happens (buster). We don't
need to make a bunch of in repo changes to projects.  But update the label of
the nodeset from debian-stretch to debian-buster.

Of course, we'd need to give a fair amount of notice when we plan to make that
change, but given this nodeset isn't part of our LTS platform (ubuntu / centos)
I believe this will help us in openstack-infra migrate projects to the latest
distro as fast a possible.

Thoughts?
Paul