[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][release] reminder for rocky-1 milestone deadline

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Apr 19 18:15:13 UTC 2018

Libraries do need to release by R-3 so that we have something to use as
a branch point for the stable branches.

We encourage releases earlier than that, for a couple of reasons.

First, because of the way the CI system works, libraries are generally
not used in test jobs unless they are released. (We should not be
testing services with unreleased versions of clients except on
patches to the client library itself.) This means nothing can use the
client modifications until they are actually released.

Second, releasing early and often gives us more time to fix issues,
so we aren't rushing around at deadline trying to solve a problem
while the gate is full of other last minute patches for other
projects.

So, you don't *have* to release a client library this week, but it is
strongly encouraged. And really, is there any reason to wait, if you have
patches that haven't been released?

Excerpts from Eric K's message of 2018-04-19 10:53:53 -0700: