[openstack-dev] [ironic][infra][qa] Jobs failing; pep8 not found

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed Apr 18 17:44:08 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We have a number of stable branch jobs failing[0] with an error about pep8
not being importable[1], when it's clearly installed[2]. We first saw this
when installing networking-generic-switch on queens in our multinode
grenade job. We hacked a fix there[3], as we couldn't figure it out and
thought it was a fluke. Now it's showing up elsewhere.

I suspected a new pycodestyle was the culprit (maybe it kills off the pep8
package somehow?) but pinning pycodestyle back a version didn't seem to
help.

Any ideas what might be going on here? I'm completely lost.

P.S. if anyone has the side question of why pep8 is being imported at
install time, it seems that pbr iterates over any entry points under
'distutils.commands' for any installed package. flake8 has one of these
which must import pep8 to be resolved. I'm not sure *why* pbr needs to do
this, but I'll assume it's necessary.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557441/
[1]
http://logs.openstack.org/41/557441/1/gate/ironic-tempest-dsvm-ironic-inspector-queens/5a4a6c9/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2018-04-16_15_48_01_508