[openstack-dev] [Nova] z/VM introducing a new config driveformat

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 17:40:48 UTC 2018

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 16:58:22 +0800, Chen Ch Ji wrote:
> For the question on AE documentation, it's open source in [1] and the
> documentation for how to build and use is [2]
> once our code is upstream, there are a set of documentation change which
> will cover this image build process by
> adding some links to there [3]

Thanks, that is good info.

> You are right, we need image to have our Active Engine, I think
> different arch and platform might have their unique
> requirements and our solution our Active Engine is very like to
> cloud-init so no harm to add it from user's perspective
> I think later we can upload image to some place so anyone is able to
> consume it as test image if they like
> because different arch's image (e.g x86 and s390x) can't be shared anyway.
>
> For the config drive format you mentioned, actually, as previous
> explanation and discussion witho Michael and Dan,
> We found the iso9660 can be used (previously we made a bad assumption)
> and we already changed the patch in [4],
> so it's exactly same to other virt drivers you mentioned , we don't need
> special format and iso9660 works perfect for our driver

That's good news, I'm glad that got resolved.

> It make sense to me we are temply moved out from runway, I suppose we
> can adjust the CI to enable the run_ssh = true
> with config drive functionalities very soon and we will apply for review
> after that with the test result requested in our CI log.

Okay, sounds good. Since you expect to be up and running with
[validation]run_validation = True soon, I'm going to move the z/VM
driver blueprint back to the front of the queue and put the next
blueprint in line into the runway.

Then, when the next blueprint end date arrives (currently 2018-04-30),
if the z/VM CI is ready with cleaned up, human readable log files and is
running with run_ssh = True with the test_server_basic_ops test to
verify config drive operation, we will add the z/VM driver blueprint
back to a runway for dedicated review.

Let us know when the z/VM CI is ready, in case other runway reviews are
completed early. If other runway reviews complete early, a runway space
might be available earlier than 2018-04-30.

Thanks,
-melanie