[openstack-dev] [TC][election] TC Candidacy

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 13:49:58 UTC 2018

Hello friends,
I've been working full-time on OpenStack for 6 years now, since the very
early days of the Heat project back in 2012. Along the way I have served
as PTL of Heat, where I am still a member of the core team, and
colloborated with developers from many other projects, such as Mistral,
Zaqar, Telemetry, and Keystone. I also worked on TripleO for a while,
from which I learned a lot about both deploying OpenStack itself and
deploying complex applications using OpenStack (since it uses an
OpenStack undercloud to deploy OpenStack as an application).

Last year I wrote, and the TC approved, a resolution on the importance
of catering to applications that autonomously make use of OpenStack APIs
if we are to achieve OpenStack's mission:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170317-cloud-applications-mission.html

(Since then a lot of great progress[1] has been made, with more
coming[2].) Afterwards, a number of people remarked that up until that
point, despite being familiar with all of the pieces, they had never
really connected the dots to realise that there was no secure way for an
application to authenticate to the OpenStack cloud it is running in
without extensive manual intervention from the cloud operator.

I'm running for election to the Technical Committee because I think it's
important that we have a TC that can, collectively, connect the dots in
as many different ways as possible, to cater to the many different users
and potential users of OpenStack. There are important discussions ahead
-- both within the technical community and between the TC and the Board
-- about where to draw the boundaries of OpenStack; the more user
viewpoints that are represented, the better the result will be. We don't
get as much feedback from developers of cloud-aware applications as we
do from other end users, because in many cases OpenStack doesn't yet
meet their minimum requirements. That is the gap I am hoping to bridge.
If we succeed, OpenStack will not only gain a lot more users, but I
expect more users will become contributors. I know from long experience
that keeping up with the activity of the TC requires a substantial time
commitment; I am fortunate to be in a position to contribute and I hope
to be able to represent many of y'all who are unable to devote that
amount of time.

I also plan to work with the TC to find more ways to guide projects
toward maturity once they have joined the OpenStack community --
something we largely lost when the old incubation process went away.

Questions and comments are welcome!

thanks,
Zane.

[1]