[openstack-dev] [rally][dragonflow][ec2-api][PowerVMStackers][murano] Tagging rights

Andrey Kurilin andr.kurilin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:36:44 UTC 2018

Hi Sean!

Thanks for raising this question.

As for Rally team, we are using self-tagging approach for several reasons:

- Release notes

  Check the difference between
https://github.com/openstack/nova/releases/tag/17.0.2 and
https://github.com/openstack/rally-openstack/releases/tag/1.0.0.
  The first one includes just autogenerated metadata. The second one
user-friendly notes (they are not ideal, but we are working on making them
better).
  I do not find a way to add custom release notes via openstack/releases
project.

- Time

  Self-tagging the repo allows me to schedule/reschedule the release in
whatever timeframe I decide without pinging anyone and waiting for folks to
return from summit/PTG.
  I do not want to offend anyone, but we all know that such events take
much time for preparation, holding and resting after it.

  Since there are no official OpenStack projects built on top of Rally,
launching any of "integration" jobs while making Rally release is a wasting
of time and money(resources).
  Also, such jobs can block to make a release. I remember sometimes it can
take weeks to pass all gates with tons of rechecks

  https://github.com/openstack/releases#release-approval == "Freezes and no
late releases". It is an opensource and I want to make releases on weekends
if there is any
  reason for doing this (critical fix or the last blocking feature is
merged or whatever).

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 02:46:59PM -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > Hello teams,
> >
> > I am following up on some recently announced changes regarding governed
> > projects and tagging rights. See [1] for background.

Best regards,
Andrey Kurilin.