[openstack-dev] [cyborg] Initiate the discussion for FPGA reconfigurability

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:10:42 UTC 2018

Hi Li, please do remember to use a [cyborg] topic marker in your subject
line. (I've added one). Comments inline.

On 04/12/2018 11:08 PM, Li Liu wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> While wrapping up spec for FPGA programmability, I think we still miss
> the reconfigurability part of Accelerators
>
> For instance, in the FPGA case, after the bitstream is loaded, a user
> might still need to tune the clock frequency, VF numbers, do reset, etc.

When you say "user" above, are you referring to a normal unprivileged
user or are you referring to a privileged user like an admin or MANO system?

I'm not entirely sure why an unprivileged user would need to change the
clock frequency or VF numbers for the FPGA, so I presume you are
referring to a privileged user (admin)?

> These reconfigurations can be arbitory. Unfortunately, none of the APIs
> we have right can handle them properly.
>
> I suggest having another spec for a couple of new APIs dedicated
> to reconfiguring accelerators.
>
> 1. A rest API
> 2. A driver API

If my presumption from above is correct -- that you are referring to
privileged users (and not the unprivileged users that are spinning up
workloads that utilize the FPGA) -- then I believe a non-REST API is
appropriate. REST APIs are typically more appropriate when trying
provide a publicly-accessible endpoint for unprivileged users to perform
actions against something. It's also easier to modify a driver API vs a
REST API due to not having to be as concerned about backwards
compatibility and things like microversions.

Best,
-jay