[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Tripleo] ipmitool issues HP machines

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 12:39:00 UTC 2018

Kind of a support question but figured I'd ask here in case there are
suggestions for workarounds for specific machines.

Setting up a new rack of mixed machines this week and hit this issue
with HP machines using the ipmi power driver for Ironic. Curious if
anyone else has seen this before? The same commands work great with my
Dell boxes!

-----

[root at localhost ~]# cat x.sh
set -x
# this is how Ironic sends its IPMI commands it fails
echo -n password > /tmp/tmprmdOOv
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.31.0.19 -U Adminstrator -f /tmp/tmprmdOOv
power status

# this works great
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.31.0.19 -U Administrator -P password power status

[root at localhost ~]# bash x.sh
+ echo -n password
+ ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.31.0.19 -U Adminstrator -f /tmp/tmprmdOOv
power status
Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session
+ ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.31.0.19 -U Administrator -P password power status
Chassis Power is on

Dan