[openstack-dev] [nova] pep8 failures on master

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:30:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:26:17 -0700, Melanie Witt wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 07:54:59 +1000, Michael Still wrote:
>> Thanks to jichenjc for fixing the pep8 failures I was seeing on master.
>> I'd decided they were specific to my local dev environment given no one
>> else was seeing them.
>>
>> As I said in the patch that fixed the issue [1], I think its worth
>> exploring how these got through the gate in the first place. There is
>> nothing in the patch which stops us from ending up here again, and no
>> real explanation for what caused the issue in the first place.
>>
>> Discuss.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> 1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557633
>
> I think by default, infra runs jobs with python2. This is the job
> definition for openstack-tox-pep8 [0] which says it "Uses tox with the
> ``pep8`` environment." And in our tox.ini [1], we don't specify the
> basepython version. I contrasted the openstack-tox-pep8 job definition
> with the tempest-full-py3 job definition [2] and it sets the
> USE_PYTHON3=True variable for devstack.

Re-reading this after I sent it (of course), I realize USE_PYTHON3 in
devstack isn't relevant to the pep8 run since devstack isn't used. So,
I'm not sure what we can do to run both python2 and python3 versions of
the pep8 check considering that the openstack-tox-pep8 job runs tox with
the "pep8" environment only (and we can't just add another "pep8-py3"
environment and have it run it).