[openstack-dev] [nova] pep8 failures on master

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:26:17 UTC 2018

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 07:54:59 +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> Thanks to jichenjc for fixing the pep8 failures I was seeing on master.
> I'd decided they were specific to my local dev environment given no one
> else was seeing them.
>
> As I said in the patch that fixed the issue [1], I think its worth
> exploring how these got through the gate in the first place. There is
> nothing in the patch which stops us from ending up here again, and no
> real explanation for what caused the issue in the first place.
>
> Discuss.
>
> Michael
>

> 1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557633

I think by default, infra runs jobs with python2. This is the job
definition for openstack-tox-pep8 [0] which says it "Uses tox with the
``pep8`` environment." And in our tox.ini [1], we don't specify the
basepython version. I contrasted the openstack-tox-pep8 job definition
with the tempest-full-py3 job definition [2] and it sets the
USE_PYTHON3=True variable for devstack.

So, I think we're not gating the pep8 job for python3, only python2, and
that's how the problems got through the gate in the first place. I'm not
sure what the best way is to fix it -- whether we should be looking at
adding a base openstack-tox-pep8-py3 job to openstack-zuul-jobs that
sets USE_PYTHON3=True or if we need to instead change something in our
tox.ini or what.

-melanie

[0]
https://github.com/openstack-infra/openstack-zuul-jobs/blob/6a48004/zuul.d/jobs.yaml#L399