[openstack-dev] [k8s] OpenStack and Containers White Paper

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Mon Apr 2 20:59:29 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

In advance of the Vancouver Summit, I'm leading an effort to publish a
community produced white-paper on OpenStack and container integrations.
This has come out of a need to develop materials, both short and long
form, to help explain how OpenStack interacts with container
technologies across the entire stack, from infrastructure to
application. The rough outline of the white-paper proposes an entire
technology stack and discuss deployment and usage strategies at every
level. The white-paper will focus on existing technologies, and how they
are being used in production today across our community. Beginning at
the hardware layer, we have the following outline (which may be inverted
for clarity):

* OpenStack Ironic for managing bare metal deployments.
* Container-based deployment tools for installing and managing OpenStack
   * Kolla containers and Kolla-Ansible
   * Loci containers and OpenStack Helm
* OpenStack-hosted APIs for managing container application
  infrastructure.
   * Magnum
   * Zun
* Community-driven integration of Kubernetes and OpenStack with K8s
  Cloud Provider OpenStack
* Projects that can stand alone in integrations with Kubernetes and
  other cloud technology
   * Cinder
   * Neutron with Kuryr and Calico integrations
   * Keystone authentication and authorization

I'm looking for volunteers to help produce the content for these sections
(and any others we may uncover to be useful) for presenting a complete
picture of OpenStack and container integrations. If you're involved with
one of these projects, or are using any of these tools in
production, it would be fantastic to get your input in producing the
appropriate section. We especially want real-world deployments to use as
small case studies to inform the work.

During the process of creating the white-paper, we will be working with a
technical writer and the Foundation design team to produce a document that
is consistent in voice, has accurate and informative graphics that
can be used to illustrate the major points and themes of the white-paper,
and that can be used as stand-alone media for conferences and
presentations.

Over the next week, I'll be reaching out to individuals and inviting them
to collaborate. This is also a general invitation to collaborate, and if
you'd like to help out with a section please reach out to me here, on the
K8s #sig-openstack Slack channel, or at my work e-mail, chris at openstack.org.
Starting next week, we'll work out a schedule for producing and delivering
the white-paper by the Vancouver Summit. We are very short on time, so
we will have to be focused to quickly produce high-quality content.

Thanks in advance to everyone who participates in writing this
document. I'm looking forward to working with you in the coming weeks to
publish this important resource for clearly describing the multitude of
interactions between these complementary technologies.

-Chris Hoge
K8s-SIG-OpenStack/OpenStack-SIG-K8s Co-Lead