[openstack-dev] [docs][ptls][install] Install guide vs. tutorial

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Fri Sep 29 19:09:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:53:04 -0500
Jay S Bryant <jungleboyj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/2017 3:47 AM, Alexandra Settle wrote:
> >
> >      > I completely agree consistency is more important, than bike shedding over the
> >      > name :)
> >      > To be honest, it would be easier to change everything to ‘guide’ – seeing as
> >      > all our URLs are ‘install-guide’.
> >      > But that’s the lazy in me speaking.
> >      >
> >      > Industry wise – there does seem to be more of a trend towards ‘guide’ rather
> >      > than ‘tutorial’. Although, that is at a cursory glance.
> >      >
> >      > I am happy to investigate further, if this matter is of some contention to
> >      > people?
> >
> >      This is the first time I'm hearing about "Install Tutorial". I'm also lazy, +1
> >      with sticking to install guide.
> >
> > Just to clarify: https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/ The link is “install-guide” but the actual title on the page is “OpenStack Installation Tutorial”.
> >
> > Apologies if I haven’t been clear enough in this thread! Context always helps :P
> >
> Oy!  The URL says guide but the page says tutorial?  That is even more
> confusing.  I think it would be good to make it consistent and just with
> guide then.  All for your laziness when it leads to consistency.  :-)

Yes, this inconsistency in document naming is totally something we need
to change, hopefully based on the outcome of this discussion.

At the PTG, I was leaning towards "tutorial" because previously, the docs
team chose that term to distinguish an installation HOWTO (describing
installing a PoC environment from packages) from a more general guide on
installation (possibly documenting different methods that different
audiences can use).

But I could go with both.

Cheers,
pk