[openstack-dev] [nova] placement/resource providers update 36

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Sep 29 14:40:46 UTC 2017

Update 36, accelerating into the cycle, is thinking about specs.

# Most Important

There are several specs outstanding for the main placement-related
work that is prioritized for this cycle. And some of those specs have
spin off specs inspired by them. Since a spec sprint is planned for
early next week, I'll break with tradition and format things
differently this time to put some emphasis on specs to be clear that
we need to get those out of the way.

The three main priorities are migration uuid for allocations,
alternate hosts, and nested providers.

## Nested Resource Proivders

The nested resource providers spec is at

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/505209/

It was previously accepted, but with all the recent talk about dealing
with traits on nested providers there's some discussion happening
there. There's a passel of related specs, about implementing traits in
various ways:

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/497713/
   Add trait support in the allocation candidates API

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468797/
   Request traits in Nova

John has started a spec about using traits with Ironic:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507052/

The NRP implementation is at:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/nested-resource-providers

## Migration allocations

The migration allocations spec has already merged

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/498510/

and the work for it is ongoing at:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/migration-allocations

Management of those allocations currently involves some raciness,
plans to address that are captured in:

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499259/
   Add a spec for POST /allocations in placement

but that proposes a change in the allocation representation which
ought to first be reflected in PUT /allocations/{consumer_uuid},
that's at:

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/508164/
   Add spec for symmetric GET and PUT of allocations

## Alternate Hosts

We want to be able to do retries within cells, so we need some
alternate hosts when returning a destination, the spec for that
is:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/504275/k

We want that data to be formatted in a way that causes neither fear
nor despair, so a spec for "Selection" objects exists:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/498830/

Implementation ongoing at:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-allocation-requests+status:open

## Other Specs

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/496853/
   Add a spec for minimal cache headers in placement

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/504540/
   Spec for limiting GET /allocation_candidates
   (This one needs some discussion about what the priorities are, lots
   of good but different ideas on the spec)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/502306/
   Network bandwitdh resource provider

# End

Next time we'll go back to the usual format.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/