[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [skip-level-upgrades][fast-forward-upgrades] PTG summary

Saverio Proto saverio.proto at switch.ch
Fri Sep 29 11:40:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

sorry I could not make it to the PTG.

I have an idea that I want to share with the community. I hope this is a
good place to start the discussion.

After years of Openstack operations, upgrading releases from Icehouse to
Newton, the feeling is that the control plane upgrade is doable.

But it is also a lot of pain to upgrade all the compute nodes. This
really causes downtime to the VMs that are running.
I can't always make live migrations, sometimes the VMs are just too big
or too busy.

It would be nice to guarantee the ability to run an updated control
plane with compute nodes up to N-3 Release.

This way even if we have to upgrade the control plane every 6 months, we
can keep a longer lifetime for compute nodes. Basically we can never
upgrade them until we decommission the hardware.

If there are new features that require updated compute nodes, we can
always organize our datacenter in availability zones, not scheduling new
VMs to those compute nodes.

To my understanding this means having compatibility at least for the
nova-compute agent and the neutron-agents running on the compute node.

Is it a very bad idea ?

Do other people feel like me that upgrading all the compute nodes is
also a big part of the burden regarding the upgrade ?

thanks !

Saverio