[openstack-dev] [tripleo] plans on testing minor updates?

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 03:05:59 UTC 2017

I was reviewing https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487496/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/487488/ when I realized that we still
didn't have any test coverage for minor updates.
We never had this coverage AFICT but this is not a reason to not push
forward it.

During Ocata and Pike, we saw that having upgrade jobs were extremely
useful to actually test the workflow that our users are supposed to do
in production, I see zero reason to not doing the same for minor
updates.
I don't want to be the bad guy here but i've -2 the 2 patches until we
find some consensus here (sorry matbu, it's not against you or your
code in specific, but more generally speaking about re: implementing
features without CI coverage).

I'm really willing to help and start to work on tripleo-quickstart
roles this week, if someone agrees to pair with me - so we could make
progress and have that coverage. Even if the new job would fail,
that's OK we know the process might work (or not, TBH, I haven't tried
it, probably shardy and some other folks know more about it). Once we
have the workflow in place, then iterate into matbu's patches and make
it work in CI so we can ship it and be proud to have the feature
tested.
That's IMHO how we should write our software.

If there is any feedback on this, please let us know here, otherwise
I'll keep my -2 until we've got this coverage in place. Also please
someone (maybe matbu?) raise your hand if you want to pair up and do
this quickly.

Emilien Macchi