[openstack-dev] [ptg] Simplification in OpenStack

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Sep 26 23:16:00 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Jonathan Proulx's message of 2017-09-26 16:01:26 -0400:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:16:30PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>
> :OpenStack is big. Big enough that a user will likely be fine with learning
> :a new set of tools to manage it.
>
> New users in the startup sense of new, probably.
>
> People with entrenched environments, I doubt it.

Sorry no, I mean everyone who doesn't have an OpenStack already.

It's nice and all, if you're a Puppet shop, to get to use the puppet
modules. But it doesn't bring you any closer to the developers as a
group. Maybe a few use Puppet, but most don't. And that means you are
going to feel like OpenStack gets thrown over the wall at you once every
6 months.

> But OpenStack is big. Big enough I think all the major config systems
> are fairly well represented, so whether I'm right or wrong this
> doesn't seem like an issue to me :)

They are. We've worked through it. But that doesn't mean potential
users are getting our best solution or feeling well integrated into
the community.

> Having common targets (constellations, reference architectures,
> whatever) so all the config systems build the same things (or a subset
> or superset of the same things) seems like it would have benefits all
> around.

It will. It's a good first step. But I'd like to see a world where
developers are all well versed in how operators actually use OpenStack.