[openstack-dev] [infra][docs][i18n][ptls] PDFs for project-specific docs with unified doc builds

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 25 13:50:34 UTC 2017

[Topic tags added to subject line]

Excerpts from Ian Y. Choi's message of 2017-09-22 07:29:23 +0900:
> Hello,
>
> "Build PDF docs from rst-based guide documents" [1] was implemented in Ocata
> cycle, and I have heard that there were a small conversation at the
> Denver PTG
> regarding getting PDFs for project-specific docs setup to help translations.
>
> In my opinion, it would be a nice idea to extend [1] to project-specific
> docs with unified doc builds. It seems that unified doc builds have been
> much enhanced with [2]. Now I think having PDF build functionalities in
> unified
> doc builds would be a way to easily have PDFs for project-specific docs.
>
> Would someone have any idea on this or help it with some good pointers?

The job-template for the unified doc build job is in
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/jobs/openstack-publish-jobs.yaml#n22

It uses the "docs" macro, which invokes the script
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/tree/jenkins/scripts/run-docs.sh

I think we would want to place any new logic for extending the build in
that script, although we should coordinate any changes with the Zuul v3
rollout because as part of that I have seen some suggestions to change
the expected interface for building documentation and we want to make
sure any changes we make will work with the updated interface.

Doug