[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 22:11:51 UTC 2017

On 21:21 Sep 21, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I just wanted to highlight to people that there seems to be a series of
> garbage patches in various projects [1] which are basically doing things
> like fixing a single typo in a code comment, or very narrowly changing http
> to https in links within docs.
>
> Also +1ing ones own changes.
>
> I've been trying to snuff these out in nova, but I see it's basically a
> pattern widespread across several projects.
>
> This is the boilerplate comment I give with my -1, feel free to employ it
> yourself.
>
> "Sorry but this isn't really a useful change. Fixing typos in code comments
> when the context is still clear doesn't really help us, and mostly seems
> like looking for padding stats on stackalytics. It's also a drain on our CI
> environment.
>
> If you fixed all of the typos in a single module, or in user-facing
> documentation, or error messages, or something in the logs, or something
> that actually doesn't make sense in code comments, then maybe, but this
> isn't one of those things."
>
> I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but this is annoying to the point I felt
> the need to say something publicly.
>
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/author:%255E.*inspur.*

I agree with the frustration here. It was mentioned earlier in the thread the
top 5 wanted [1] is a good step in the right direction. I think also the
efforts on the contributor portal [2] are going to be a helpful link to send
people when they make mistakes.

I'm sure some of the people who haven't had this communicated to them yet
aren't aware, so we should all be aware as demonstrated in Matt's boilerplate
comment to be nice when communicating.

[1] - http://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/top-5-help-wanted.html
[2] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122534.html

--