[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 21:14:37 UTC 2017

On 22 September 2017 at 11:45, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017, at 08:58 AM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
>> Another, more revolutionary (for good or ill) alternative would be to
>> move gates to run Kolla instead of DevStack. We're working towards
>> registry of images, and we support most of openstack services now. If
>> we enable mixed installation (your service in devstack-ish way, others
>> via Kolla), that should lower the amount of downloads quite
>> dramatically (lots of it will be downloads from registry which will be
>> mirrored/cached in every nodepool). Then all we really need is to
>> support barebone image with docker and ansible installed and that's
>> it.
>
> Except that it very likely isn't going to use less bandwidth. We already
> mirror most of these package repos so all transfers are local to the
> nodepool cloud region. In total we seem to grab about 139MB of packages
> for a neutron dvr multinode scenario job (146676348 bytes) on Ubuntu
> Xenial. This is based off the package list compiled at
> http://paste.openstack.org/raw/621753/ then asking apt-cache for the
> package size for the latest version.
>
> Kolla images on the other hand are in the multigigabyte range
> http://tarballs.openstack.org/kolla/images/.
>
> Clark

Right, all 200+ of them, with proper registry management it's going to
be more streamlined. That will lower amount of effort to handle DIB
images tho. We are going to build them anyway, so there net bandwidth
will actually be lower... Also I don't think it's bandwidth that's
issue here as much as general package management and installation of
packages even from locally available mirror, docker would help with
that.