[openstack-dev] [TripleO] TripleO/Ansible PTG session

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 14:35:26 UTC 2017

On 22.9.2017 15:30, Jiri Tomasek wrote:
> Will it be possible to send Zaqar messages at each deployment step to make
> the deployment process more interactive?

If we go the way of allowing the wrapping playbook to execute per step,
i think we could send messages to Zaqar after each step. Mistral could
trigger the playbook with sth like `tripleo_run_steps: [1]`, then with
`tripleo_run_steps: [2]` etc. So even though the playbook would support
running all steps by default, Mistral could run it step-by-step.

(Currently we only send Zaqar messages before Heat stack and after Heat
stack, is that right? [1] Or do we send & read some messages from within
the overcloud stack deployment too?)

With logs from external playbooks (like ceph-ansible) it would be less
comfy than it is now, or would require extra effort to improve on that.
Currently AFAIK we don't send any Zaqar messages there anyway [2], but
we at least publish the logs into Mistral separately from the rest of
deployment logs. If we trigger an external playbook from Ansible, making
it a "normal citizen" of a TripleO deployment step, then the external
playbook logs would be reported along with logs of that whole deployment
step. This is IMO the main weak point of having the step loop in Ansible
(assuming its most basic form), perhaps something where we could find an
improvement, e.g. utilizing ARA as James suggested earlier in the
thread. (I don't know enough about ARA at this point to suggest a
particular way of integrating it with Mistral/UI though.)

> in case of driving separate
> playbooks from mistral workflow, that would be absolutely possible. As it
> seems we're more keen on driving everything from wrapping ansible playbook,
> is it going to be possible to send Zaqar messages from ansible playbook
> directly?

I did a quick search but didn't find any existing Ansible module for
this. If we needed/wanted this for additional granularity, we might have
to implement it.

> Being able to properly monitor progress of deployment is important so it
> would be good to clarify how that is going to work.
>
> -- Jirka

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/979dc308e51bb9b8e7b66b4258da1d67e50d9c2b/workbooks/deployment.yaml#L180
[2]