[openstack-dev] [requirements][stable] EOL tags and upper-constraints.txt in tox.ini

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Sep 21 16:13:23 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Tony Breeds's message of 2017-09-21 08:36:39 -0400:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 06:08:22PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> > I like the idea. I'm not sure why, if the constraints file is only used
> > for the dependency installation step, we still need tox_install.sh?
>
> Right now that isn't true, when we get something like my idea
> implemented we'd still need the tox_install.sh in projects that need
> services (not published on pypi) like horizon plugins or neutron stadium
> projects.   Fixing that issue is a totally different discussion, one I
> started at the PTG but I need to let those conversations settle and do
> research on wasy to fix that.
>
> > If
> > that's just to avoid updating the URL when we create branches, I can
> > live with continuing to do that step if we figure out some other way to
> > minimize the open race window.
>
> So lets check we're on the same page with the race window point.  At the
> moment the process looks like:
> 1. projects tag RC1 and when generate a stable/series branch.
> 2. We generate a reviews that updates .gitreview
> 3. We generate a reviews that updates .tox.ini
> 4. time passes
> 5. requirements creates a stable/series branch
> 6. requirements thaws
>
> Now the race is that if projects merge the patch from step 3 before step
> 5 they're broken (on stable/series) because there isn't a
> 'stable/series' in the requirements repo.  There are some additional issues
> for cycle-trailing projects but nothing radically different.
>
> Correct?
>
> Assuming I have that right  In the new world:
>
> 0. requirements publish master.txt and series.txt
> 1. projects tag RC1 and when generate a stable/series branch.
> 2. We generate a reviews that updates .gitreview
> 3. We generate a reviews that updates .tox.ini
> 4. time passes
> 5. requirements creates a stable/series branch
> 6. requiremenst now publish series.txt, new_series.txt and master.txt
> 6. requirements thaws

Where in that sequence do we make the change so that we're not
publishing to series.txt from the new stable branch in requirements and
from master in requirements? Between step 4 and 5? Or is the job smart
enough to not do that?

Where in the sequence do we add new_series.txt? Also between 4 and 5?