[openstack-dev] [requirements][stable] EOL tags and upper-constraints.txt in tox.ini

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Sep 21 12:36:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 06:08:22PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> I like the idea. I'm not sure why, if the constraints file is only used
> for the dependency installation step, we still need tox_install.sh?

Right now that isn't true, when we get something like my idea
implemented we'd still need the tox_install.sh in projects that need
services (not published on pypi) like horizon plugins or neutron stadium
projects.   Fixing that issue is a totally different discussion, one I
started at the PTG but I need to let those conversations settle and do
research on wasy to fix that.

> If
> that's just to avoid updating the URL when we create branches, I can
> live with continuing to do that step if we figure out some other way to
> minimize the open race window.

So lets check we're on the same page with the race window point.  At the
moment the process looks like:
1. projects tag RC1 and when generate a stable/series branch.
2. We generate a reviews that updates .gitreview
3. We generate a reviews that updates .tox.ini
4. time passes
5. requirements creates a stable/series branch
6. requirements thaws

Now the race is that if projects merge the patch from step 3 before step
5 they're broken (on stable/series) because there isn't a
'stable/series' in the requirements repo.  There are some additional issues
for cycle-trailing projects but nothing radically different.

Correct?

Assuming I have that right  In the new world:

0. requirements publish master.txt and series.txt
1. projects tag RC1 and when generate a stable/series branch.
2. We generate a reviews that updates .gitreview
3. We generate a reviews that updates .tox.ini
4. time passes
5. requirements creates a stable/series branch
6. requiremenst now publish series.txt, new_series.txt and master.txt
6. requirements thaws

In this scenario We've removed the race as there is a series.txt file
available befoer the project and requirements branch.

Also[1] if, right now, projects used queens.txt we wouldn't need to
update tox.ini when we branch stable/queens, but we would need to update
master.  This is a point of confusion that we'll need to document and
possible check for somewhere in our tools.

Yours Tony.

[1] This just occurred to me