[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 01:11:35 UTC 2017

On 09/20/2017 09:30 AM, David Moreau Simard wrote:
> At what point does it become beneficial to build more than one image per OS
> that is more aggressively tuned/optimized for a particular purpose ?

... and we can put -dsvm- in the jobs names to indicate it should run
on these nodes :)

Older hands than myself will remember even more issues, but the
"thicker" the base-image has been has traditionally just lead to a lot
more corners for corner-cases can hide in.  We saw this all the time
with "snapshot" images where we'd be based on upstream images that
would change ever so slightly and break things, leading to
diskimage-builder and the -minimal build approach.

That said, in a zuulv3 world where we are not caching all git and have
considerably smaller images, a nodepool that has a scheduler that
accounts for flavor sizes and could conceivably understand similar for
images, and where we're building with discrete elements that could
"bolt-on" things like a list-of-packages install sanely to daily
builds ... it's not impossible to imagine.

-i