[openstack-dev] [TripleO] CLI extensions for the undercloud

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Fri Sep 15 12:47:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Ricardo Noriega De Soto
<rnoriega at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> After integrating BGPVPN and L2GW Neutron drivers in TripleO, I've realized
> I always have to jump to the overcloud controller (and copy-pasting the
> overcloudrc file) in order to use the CLI extensions such "neutron
> l2-gateway list".

That option seems to be available on my undercloud:

(undercloud) [stack at undercloud tmp]$ neutron help | grep l2
neutron CLI is deprecated and will be removed in the future. Use
openstack CLI instead.
  l2-gateway-connection-create       [l2_gateway_connection] Create
l2gateway-connection information.
  l2-gateway-connection-delete       [l2_gateway_connection] Delete a
given l2gateway-connection.
  l2-gateway-connection-list         [l2_gateway_connection] List
l2gateway-connections.
  l2-gateway-connection-show         [l2_gateway_connection] Show
information of a given l2gateway-connection.
  l2-gateway-create                  [l2_gateway] Create l2gateway information.
  l2-gateway-delete                  [l2_gateway] Delete a given l2gateway.
  l2-gateway-list                    [l2_gateway] List l2gateway that
belongs to a given tenant.
  l2-gateway-show                    [l2_gateway] Show information of
a given l2gateway.
  l2-gateway-update                  [l2_gateway] Update a given l2gateway.

So is it not just a case of sourcing the overcloudrc on the undercloud
(or any other node with the correct client packages installed and
access to the overcloud endpoints) ?

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not clear why you need to SSH to
the overcloud controller - that's never expected for any tenant
API/CLI operations, but clearly wherever they do connect from needs an
appropriate client - is your undercloud build missing whatever package
provides l2-gateway-list perhaps?

> I'd like to know what's the current strategy on other services and if it's
> possible to use those extensions from the undercloud. From the UX
> perspective it would be much appreciated! :-)

AFAIK the expectation is, much like any OpenStack cloud, that the user
interacts with the ReST APIs exposed by the overcloud endpoints, and
TripleO itself doesn't really care about how that happens, even though
we do install many of the clients on the undercloud (which isn't
intended for use of end users, only cloud administrators).

Hope that helps,

Steve